Thursday, June 10, 2010

iWrite

Reading iWrite: Using Blogs, Wikis, and Digital Stories in the English Classroom by Dana J. Wilber was a perfect book to read so close to leaving for the Boothbay Literacy Retreat and as I start my doctoral program planning on focusing my research on blogging and literacy.

According to the Heinemann website, the retreat guiding questions are: What does it mean to be literate in the 21st century? Is technology fundamentally changing the way we think? The way we read and write? What tech tools can I use when I don't have access to that much technology?

The book addressed a lot of these same concepts. Wilber discussed a lot about the technologies that students use outside of school that are not always validated in school as worth while literacies. Multiple times she  brought up the concept that while we do not necessarily need to incorporate all of these literacies in school, it is beneficial for teachers to be aware of them. She said, "Not everything they do belongs in the classroom. But it makes sense for us, as teachers, to know about these technologies since they occupy so much of our students' lives and because they are a big part of the ways in which students read and write today" (XI). With the same conversation she talked frequently about the importance of teaching students to think about audience and purpose when navigating all of the new technologies. I loved this concept because ever since I took a course while on exchange at the University of Rhode Island my junior year of college about different dialects of language I was hooked on the topic. Much of my senior projects revolved around language registers and dialects. The way that she advocated for guiding students in understanding audience and purpose reminded me of discussions revolving around valuing students dialects but supporting them in learning which register to use depending on the circumstances for long term success. It was easy to agree wholeheartedly.

Throughout the book there was an emphasis on life-long literacy skills. In addition, she talked a lot about the advantages of blogging with students. I was excited because it validated many of the hunches that I had while blogging with my students this year and the reasoning behind why I want my 8th graders to have their own blogs next year. She brought up areas such as motivation, authentic writing, choice, the role of comments, and regular practice.

I already feel very confident as a blogger, so there was not as much new information for me in the blogging sections. However, it was nice to have my ideas validated and there were some new considerations that the book prompted. I want to incorporate wikis next year. Troy Hicks gave me some wiki suggestions, and I need to experiment with them this summer. Wilber brought up some interesting ideas and thoughts surrounding wikis, so now I feel even more prepared to begin my venture into that medium. My experiences with digital stories have also been limited, so those were other great sections.

For those who want to read more about literacy and technology, this book is a great companion for Troy Hicks' The Digital Writing Workshop that I loved so much back in December.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you liked iWrite -- it is in my "to read" pile and we may have enough people in our summer institute who like it that we choose it for our book groups.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

    Troy

    ReplyDelete