Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Boothbay Literacy Retreat Update

Today I just saw that the tentative agenda for the Boothbay Literacy Retreat was updated, and I am very excited about a couple of things. As if the line-up of presenters and guests wasn't already amazing enough, now Erin Gruwell and Penny Kittle will both be there as well. I have mentioned that I am a fan of the Freedom Writers story before. I had the opportunity to meet three of the original Freedom Writers at a summer institute, and one of my colleagues at my previous school was a Freedom Writers teacher and wrote one of the entries in Teaching Hope. Being able to see Erin Gruwell speak will be inspiring, I am sure. This spring I did several posts reflecting on Penny Kittle's book Write Beside Them. I can hardly meet to see her in person!

The one disappointment was that it looks like Nancie Atwell will no longer be there. Nonetheless, I can tell it is going to be an amazing experience. I will be heading over to the east coast in exactly two weeks.

Speaking of Heinemann, the last couple of days I read iWrite and Reading Ladders while I was at my mom and dad's house. Watch for my thoughts on the books in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment