Friday, June 25, 2010

Boothbay Readings - Get Smarter

Last night after I finished reading and reflecting on "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" I opened up the next article "Get Smarter" by Jamais Cascio. I couldn't help laughing when I read this sentence in the introduction, "Is Google actually making us smarter?" I could tell right away that this article had many points to contrast "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" Te article was even mentioned.

Cascio focused more on the long-term vision that we will figure out how to filter all the information that we can receive because of technology in order to maximize the benefit of access to knowledge. He goes on to say, "Google isn't the problem; it's the beginning of a solution."

I am more inclined to agree with Cascio. The Internet and all the tools it provides have tremendous potential for the way that it is changing the knowledge we receive. It is up to us to be concientious users to use it toward our benefit and to accomplish our goals, which varies widely - sometimes to seek knowledge, other times for entertainment, for social networking... I am continually in awe when I see the advances with technology and think about how rapidly they change. It will be exciting to see how these tools continue to improve and grow and how they will continue to help us be more efficient, while maintaining our ability to think deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment