Saturday, June 12, 2010

Whole Class Books

I typically do not have whole class books, but for the past two years I have read Julia Alvarez's Cuando Tía Lola vino (de visita) a quedarse with my 6th grade class. Both of the classes loved the book. Last year I did a combo of read aloud/small group reading/independent reading, and this year we did it as a read along.



Last year about half of my 6th graders read Pam Muñoz Ryan's Yo, Naomi León, but I did not have a group of 6th graders read it this year because I have been planning on reading it as a 7th grade whole class read. I plan on reading it as a read along.



For 8th grade I just placed an order for a class set of We Beat the Streets: How a Friendship Pact Led to Success. This year is going to be a very special year for our school. In later posts I will give more details about the history of our school and why this will be such a special moment, but we will be graduating the first class from our school. Much of my themes for next year will be about decisions and events that shape our lives, as well as the importance of supporting each other as they move on to the high school. I absolutely love We Beat the Streets, and it will be a perfect book to talk about how they can make their own pacts to support each other in reaching their educational dreams and keeping their goals in sight. Some of my students have already read the book because it has been in the classroom library since their 6th grade year. Those who have read it also loved it, so I do not think they will mind reading it again as a class.



*Both of the Spanish title read alouds are also available in English as How Aunt Lola Came to (Visit) Stay and Becoming Naomi León.

2 comments:

  1. I love whole class novels! We begin the year with one, and then I find at least five opportunities to do the same during the year. It serves as a real community builder, and helps us have a common reference point. The sequel to "Becoming..." is fabulous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't realized there was a sequel to Becoming! I am going to look for it on Amazon right now. I thought that I had all of Muñoz Ryan's chapter books, but I must be missing one. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete