Thursday, June 3, 2010

Slice of Life Mentor?

I was just skimming over Matt de la Peña's blog and was sucked in while reading the first post titled "Woman in a Brooklyn Window". At first I was caught off guard with the topic, while walking back to his writing space with a cup of coffee, he caught a glimpse of a woman watering her plants with her shirt off. However, as I continued to read I realized that he captured me with his voice. There is seriousness and humor at the same time. Then he does a brilliant thing and gives us a quick glimpse back into his childhood before screeching back into reality. It makes me think about my own experiences that make me feel like a child again. In a brief post he does so much.

This would be a great mentor text for older students/adults to show what slice of life stories can do - how they can capture a reader's attention and leave them thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment