Monday, June 7, 2010

Those Digital Natives

About a week ago I was visiting my sister in law and her family. My oldest nephew who is finishing up his fifth grade year was frequently at the computer, provoking his mom to tell him over and over to get off the computer and threatening to change the password.The morning I left his dad was asking me about how to change the password and was going to have me show him once my nephew went to school. However, the boys convinced their dad to take them to school instead of riding the bus, so I had left before he got back home.

Today when I was coincidentally taking a break from reading iWrite, which talks a lot about technology and the influence on everyday life, I checked my email. There were two Facebook messages, one telling me my nephew wanted to friend me and the second a message from him that said, "hey aunt amanda its me jaime i just started facebook." It was all I could do to keep myself from rolling with laughter. Looks like computer access is alive and well for this digital native!

1 comment:

  1. As a parent, I am not sure how I feel about Facebook. Sometimes I think kids THINK they can just message each other and that passes for real communication. But, what do I know...it's certainly here to stay.

    ReplyDelete