Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Digital Writing Workshop


I recently posted about buying four new books from Heinemann, including The Digital Writing Workshop by Troy Hicks, and I mentioned that I was excited to read each one for different reasons. Although I have not mentioned it at all on my blog yet, I am in the process of applying to a Ed.D. program that would allow me to continue teaching while pursuing my dream of continuing my education. When I met with the program coordinator, he mentioned that it is great if students start out the program knowing what they would like to be the topic of their dissertation because then assignments for different classes can contribute toward the dissertation or provide some initial research. After considering many different options, a few weeks ago I decided that I would like to focus on technology in reading and/or writing workshops. One week later I learned about Hicks' book, and I knew I had to order it right then!

When I received my books this week, I immediately started reading Hicks' book. It fueled my excitement for the topic. I had already been planning on starting up student blogs with a small group of students after winter break, so the book was an excellent resource to consider different ways that I can prepare in order to make the endeavor successful. Blogging is a technology that I feel comfortable and confident with, and this is my first year having a whole class blog. Mentoring students as bloggers is a natural next step.

He also opened me up to so many more digital possibilities that I am not familiar with, such as wikis and collaborative word processors, and reminded me that it is also time to layer in technologies that I am vaguely familiar with and have wanted to incorporate, such as podcasting. Best of all the book provides a wealth of links - sites (mostly free) that provide the digital tools he discusses, tutorials to understand the ins and outs of the tools, and example classroom projects. In addition Hicks has a blog, as well as a companion site for the book.

Other components of the book that I was very excited about were:
*Sample permission letter to parents about using Google Docs (49)
*MAPS heuristic to always remind students that as digital writers they need to consider mode, media, audience, purpose, situation for the writer and situation of the writing (57-58)
*Traits for effective and ineffective digital writers to share with students (110-113)
*Ideas for applying the six traits to summative assessment of digital writing (115-116)
*Be a Blogger! matrix that will help guide me in creating clear expectations and provide support for my students (118-123)
*Questions from a variety of categories to consider as I set up my digital writing workshop (129-133)

I appreciate that Hicks emphasized throughout that it is important to not just have students do the same paper/pencil assignments with technology but to really know digital tools and appropriate ways to incorporate them into the classroom in authentic ways. While my workshop will definitely change as I integrate these pieces, all of his suggestions still aligned with my concept of quality writing instruction. Pedagogically it is an excellent fit. He even organized his book around core principals of the writing workshop approach, facilitating this sense of alignment.

I was already headed in the direction of layering in more technology to my workshop, and Hicks resource came at a perfect time. His expertise and knowledge in the field makes me feel more confident by having sufficient resources and support to successfully infuse my classroom with digital literacies. I will be frequently referring to Hicks book and joining his Ning group because I know that he will serve as a great mentor for effectively utilizing digital tools in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished and loved this book too -- I'm really excited about engaging young writers with these concepts and ideas in mind.

    ReplyDelete