Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Educator Insights via YA Literature

One of my favorite aspects of reading YA Literature is when I stumble across a passage that makes me stop and think as a teacher, that makes me understand one of my students or a population of students a little bit more. Yesterday as I was reading Carter Finally Gets It, I had one of those fine moments. Though most of the book is very humorous, the chapter that grabbed my attention titled "Kindergarten" was a little more on the serious side.

In the book, Carter is experiencing his freshman year of high school, which often details his frustration with his lack of focus. He has ADD, but his mom is against medication, saying there is nothing wrong with being a dreamer. His best friend has ADHD, but he does take medication. Sure, I have studied and heard about ADD/ADHD in classes, as well as learning about it at IEPs, but I think this is the first time that I could really get it through a student's point of view.

If you are interested in seeing it, I recommend that you read the quick chapter in its entirety to get the full effect (on pages 78-80). In case you are not able to, here are some excerpts:

"I smash my head into the pillow a few times, and now I'm focused on what Coach said to me during our first game. How life is going to pass me by because I'm always dreaming" (78).

"I think I do a pretty good job of hiding the fact that I don't know what's going on most of the time. I really do try hard, but then I forget to try hard for a second, and it all falls apart" (78).

"I've been in high school almost a month, and it's nothing like I thought it would be. Life just goes on. I thought there would be this click in my head and everything would make sense. But so far, nothing! I'm the same stupid, scared kid I've always been. I feel like I did on the first day of kindergarten. [...] Everybody else seems to have it all figured out and I'm totally lost, following the pack and praying no one notices what a tard I am" (78-79).

And the concluding lines that really got to me:
"[...] and I worry that I'll always feel this way. Like I did on the first day of kindergarten" (80).

Not only does reading middle grades/YA books make me a better teacher by being able to recommend titles, but I am also a better teacher because I gain valuable insights into the variety of students in my class. I feel a stronger understanding and with it a new level of empathy. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow. This sounds like a painfully real read. I have several unmedicated students who absolutely suffer from ADHD. They will tell you that their brains are not fun places to be. I am definitely going to read this book. It sounds like it could really give me more insight, as you noted, and maybe encourage some of my discouraged students. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mrs. V.! I'm new to your blog...I actually saw your comment on another blog and was all confused because I'm Mrs. V., too! I did a double take!!

    I love the idea of learning more about our students from reading YA books. There are so many books that I read and are hard for me to identify with, and that's when I realize that just because I can't relate doesn't mean kids are experiencing it. It makes me stop and think what is going on in the world and how much I don't know about, especially since life is different now from when I grew up. I think it is so important to read what our students are reading because it does help us connect with them by experiencing the same stories but also identifying with what might be going on in their lives. Sometimes it's just easy to forget what it's like to be insecure in middle school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just wrapped up the school year today! Can't wait to start reading the books on your list!

    ReplyDelete