Sunday, March 28, 2010

Teaching Hope

This spring break I was cleaning out my closet and came across my copy of Teaching Hope and realized I never did a blog post upon completing it. I had been really excited for the book because I loved all the other books: the original The Freedom Writer's Diary, Erin Gruwell's memoir, and the teacher's guide. I also had an opportunity to meet three of the original Freedom Writers when they came to an institute that I was able to participate in. As an added bonus, I knew that one of my co-workers from my last school was going to have one of his pieces of writing in the book. He had mentioned what he was going to write about before, and I couldn't wait to see how his story turned out.

The book has very diverse stories. While reading some I could not relate to the rationale of the decisions, while in others I felt a strong connection between our experiences. I loved the way the stories were woven together just as the original book with some common themes emerging. My previous co-worker's story was great. Even though I knew part of the story he was going to tell, I didn't realize the full story, which was pretty amazing. I enjoyed learning more about him through the book.

Here is Erin Gruwell's description of the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment