Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Stenhouse - So Much to Love

Heinemann has always been my favorite professional development resource. I was hooked in by authors such as Freeman and Freeman and Nancie Atwell. I loved that their books were easy to read and connect to with so much practical advice. Lately Stenhouse has been giving me a lot of reasons to reevaluate that "favorite" status. There is so much to love about all their site has to offer: full books available for web preview of many books and excerpts of others, their blog with regular updates (just discovered), and the creative use of technology.

The access to books can be dangerous with my lack of control when it comes to spending money on books. Like my Heinemann favorites, I have noticed that Stenhouse books have the conversational feel with many innovative ideas that make sense. I recently bought and loved Readicide and The Daily Five. The CAFE Book is on its way, and I would love to read Spaces and Places, Notebook Connections (I read Notebook Know-How last summer and will be pulling it out again this summer to reflect upon and rework my curriculum), and Making History Mine. I have to hold myself back from clicking over to Amazon right this instant to order them all!

I just added their blog to my list of favorites so I could monitor it for a while and decide whether or not I would follow it regularly or not. With less than a week I can see how it will be an invaluable resource. I like how it has posts from a variety of their authors that I can easily connect to and find ideas that I can easily relate to my own classroom. I appreciate all that Stenhouse has to offer and am glad I realized that it has so many components to offer on their site that I had not noticed before.

No comments:

Post a Comment