Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reading and Writing Connection

"Read like writers and write like readers" is a popular phrase that I love to share with and explore with my students. Author Mary Castillo just did a blog post that ties in well with the concept. She said:

"When I'm lucky to find that special book or movie that make me forget that I'm a writer, I reread/rewatch it to spot how the author structured the story. I even take notes and ask myself the following:
1. What does she reveal about the characters? But most importantly, how and when does she reveal what they're trying to keep secret?
2. How does she work characters against each other and create conflict that make me hold the book tighter, or lean forward towards the screen?
3. Where are the pulse points of the story? (One could call them plot points, turning points ... whatever floats your boat."

I love reading examples of how different authors craft their stories and analyze works of others. It would be fun to have my students do a similar analysis of one of their favorite books to influence themselves as writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment