Monday, January 18, 2010

What's Missing in my Writer's Workshop?

As I am starting the third quarter tomorrow, I have been mapping out this next phase of the year. I will be busy preparing students for their state writing assessment and/or work sample that they will complete in February. At the beginning of the year I decided to take the suggestion of others to teach prompt writing/writing assessment writing as a genre. I am also doing a lot of groundwork to begin student blogs with my 7th graders in the near future.

While there is much to celebrate with different components that I have incorporated and put into place this year, there are also areas where I have definitely been lacking. Although in many respects I have more fully integrated writing workshop this year than last, one area that I actually did better last year was peer revisions. Back in August and September I was trying to start all components of the writing workshop at once and realized that I needed to take a step back and firmly establish each piece of the process. One area that I stepped back from was peer revisions; however, now I am at the third quarter, and I never implemented it back in! This quarter creating more opportunities for my students to share and confer about their writing with their peers will be a major area that I will focus on improving.

I am looking forward to next year because I feel like I have been figuring out so much this year that next year I will have a smoother start from the beginning of the school year. It is always nice to feel a sense of making progress and figuring out different components.

No comments:

Post a Comment