Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Reading Workshop Reflections

Today was one of those magical days in reading workshop. Lately during the day it has felt more like spring than winter, and today we were able to crack the door open a little and have a breeze of fresh air while the students were spread out around the room with their independent reading books. As I scanned the room ready to start conferring I noticed one of my students that I have had since last year in the corner quietly reading the words aloud to his book. He was in the zone, absorbed in his book, taking steps each day to building a life-long love of reading. Around the rest of the room I saw many other reasons to celebrate. I always love conferencing with my students and seeing the wide variety of books that they are reading at any given time.

Lately, I have been thinking back a lot to Steven L. Layne's "Alliteracy Poem" and about the goal of fostering that sense of life-long reading, rather than having the majority of the focus on meeting on a standardized assessment. Seeing Reading Countess' post also made me think about the same concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment