Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Days of School - Day 1

Yesterday was my first day of school. My daughter was very excited for her first day of first grade. She was skipping along in the parking lot.

The day for the most part, went smoothly. Most of the day my teaching partner and I had all 51 of our students together doing teambuilders, discussing common expectations, and passing out supplies. Once the students had their supplies and we were organizing them, it got too loud with all of us together because our school has an open feel to it. I ended up taking half the students back to my room. It was nice to have the smaller group of students and start connecting with them. Then we switched classes and I had a chance to be with my students from last year. Overall the day went great, but I am looking forward to Monday where we will get started on a regular routine.

In other big news...
My desks arrived yesterday afternoon. All of us had conveniently forgotten that the desks had to be put together. As soon as we saw the orange caps on the bottoms of the legs, we remembered that leg extensions had to be added on. Luckily, our great custodian knew it was a priority and got right to work. Right before I left, they were set to go and we set them up in the classroom together. Now I feel even more ready for Monday.

Next week's goals:
*Reconnect with my returning students and get to know my new students.
*Focus on making sure that a couple of new students to the school feel welcome and are forming friendships.
*Implement routines/procedures.

1 comment: