Saturday, July 25, 2009

Revisiting The Reading Zone

For my last post (for now) on revisiting The Reading Zone, I wanted to make a list of ideas that I will incorporate from the book:

*Have a books we love section in our classroom library (33).
*Set aside pages in the front of students' reader's notebook for a Someday page with book titles that they would like to read eventually (68).
*I loved the quote from one of her students Forrest who said, "With girl characters, I am watching the 'movie,' but with boy characters, I am the star" (22). I am going to share this concept with my students while discussing the pleasures of being in the zone.
*Work toward her goal of having at least 20 books per student in my classroom library and continually look for ways to make my library grow. Even if I have just one particular student in mind when I see it - it's worth it (31).
*Talk to students about three levels of books: Holidays, Just Rights, and Challenges (40).
*I will put a copy of her "Some Questions I Ask as I Roam Among Readers" in my binder that I will carry around while conferring as a reminder to revisit it frequently and to reflect on how I confer with students (93).
*I am going to discuss with my teaching partner the idea of sending notification to parents each time there is a missing assignment and scheduling a conference once a student has three (28).

No comments:

Post a Comment