Friday, July 31, 2009

Clementine

This year during summer school I talked to my incoming sixth graders about their favorite books. One of the girls absolutely loved Clementine by Sara Pennypacker. I had never heard of the book before, but then I started hearing about it on other book sites. I decided to pick up a copy when I was at Barnes and Noble last weekend.

I could quickly see why she was such a lovable character. She reminds me of Junie B. Jones and Ramona. I love her wit and humor, as well as one disaster after another that she gets herself into.

I will be adding more Clementine books to my classroom library in both English and Spanish. They will be perfect for students transitioning into chapter books or who just want a fun read. Most of my students are stronger in one language than another in our dual immersion classroom, especially if they started the program in later grades. I can see the books being a great opportunity, especially in Spanish, to invite readers in to chapter books.

No comments:

Post a Comment