Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lessons That Change Writers

I loved the glimpses into Nancie Atwell's classroom that she provided in Lessons that Change Writers. After an introduction into writer's workshop and mini-lessons that includes a nice outline of the conditions of a writing workshop (XVII), Atwell provides explanations of 76 lessons for the remainder of the book, as well as an appendix with writing mini-lessons resources. The accompanying notebook has masters for reproduciibles and overheads for the lessons that are shown in the book as a small image in the side bars to easily match up the lesson descriptions to the support materials in the notebook. In addition, the notebook also provides student sample writing that can be used as mentor texts/examples during the lessons.

I appreciated that the book also gave insights into how Atwell's writing workshop has evolved from the time she wrote In the Middle. She mentions:
So I pondered the content of mini-lessons and how to make them most effective for my kids. At first I believed that lessons must be responsive--planned day to day in reaction to what I saw kids doing and needing as writers in the workshop. It was exhausting. But then I began to see patterns of needs and information to address in the fall, in winter, and in spring: in short, a course of study of writing. Finally, I recognized that good lessons draw on a balance of ad hoc teachable moments and the teacher's prior experiences with writing and with teaching it (XII).

This is valuable information that I expect will help me have a focus as I map out my year. I will feel more prepared starting the new school year, knowing that there is a long-term curriculum map, while also having the flexibility to make adjustments as needed. Instead of having my vision fall short of my expectations because of becoming overwhelmed by too much all at once, this concept should provide a framework for the year.

Atwell also emphasizes the importance of making sure that the genres we study are authentic genres that students will find in the real world rather than "school genre" assignments (XII). Since I want to foster life-long readers who are inspired to write for reasons other than just because they have a school assignment, I was happy to have this reminder to make sure that I am helping my students engage in real world writing. Then they will feel empowered by what writing can do, rather than dreading it (92).

Students were key to determining which lessons to include in this resource. Atwell requested their feedback on which lessons were most helpful and realized that those that positively impacted them as writers could be classified into four areas: lessons about topics, lessons about principles of writing, lessons about genres, and lessons about conventions, so that is how the mini-lessons in the book are organized (XIV). However, Atwell also provides an outline at the front of the book of when she teaches the lessons throughout the year by month (XXVIII-XXIX). Her explanation for conventions, "what readers' eyes and minds expect from texts, and how marks and forms give writing voice and power and make reading predictable and easy" reminded me of Jeff Anderson's resources (XIV).

While reading the book I decided to not read every lesson. Instead I skimmed through the type of information and made notes on my curriculum plan of where they would fit in naturally, as well as a list of the others at the bottom to keep in mind if the need arises during the year. For each lesson Atwell provides a sample script of what she says to her class, not for teachers to stick to the script but to get a better sense of exactly how she delivers her lessons. She explains her intent, "[...] straightforward invitations to teachers to listen to, try on, then adapt my voice and experience" (XIV). I will definitely start the year with writing territories (as well as reading) and heart mapping (3-13). I read Heard's book with heart mapping earlier this year, and loved the concept. I will do this instead of a personal Coat of Arms at the beginning of the year (I may even use the activities on alternating years so that my students will eventually do both).

I'll end my reflections on the resource with another excerpt from the book that encompasses what I love about teaching in a position where I am encouraged and supported in personal professional development, with approval to try out new ideas in order to improve my classroom:
The other advantage we gave ourselves was permission to teach as well as we could--to read research and conduct our own, develop methods that make sense and help kids move forward as learners, implement others' approaches that fill the bill, and change our minds as we learn more or when a method doesn't help kids as we wish it to. In this thoughtful, purposeful setting, as a teacher responsible for curriculum development and for classes of regular kids whom I adore, I have the power to pose questions about how lessons might help writers, develop the lessons, teach and refine them, consult with my students, and refine them some more (XXVI).

This embodies the idea of teachers as learners seeking professional development and getting to know their students in order to do the best job they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment