Monday, March 15, 2010

Write Beside Them - Implications for my Classroom

Reading Write Beside Them came at a perfect time. All year long I reflect on my practices, but this time of year especially I think about what has been working well and what I will change for next year. This is even more true because of working in a school that is still growing. I started last year as the self-contained 6th grade teacher for my school, teaching all subjects in both English and Spanish. This year our school grew to have a 7th grade class and another teacher was hired, so I was able to be the social studies and language arts teacher for 6th and 7th grade. Next year the school will grow one final year, we will hire yet another teacher, and I will be able to teach 6th-8th grade language arts. (I am so excited!)

Last year in my first experience as a self-contained teacher, I was left a bit breathless. There was so much to plan and explore. This year I have relished in being able to focus in more on reading and writing, and I can't wait to be able to narrow in even more on these two content areas next year. With this focus; however, I want to get a firmer grasp on my 6th-8th grade scope and sequence. For the recent class I took on writing I chose to do a year-long writing curriculum as my final project. Though I only needed to do one grade level, I decided to do an overview of all three to see the big picture. In my introduction to the plan I explained that it will always be a work in progress because I will always be changing as I grow as a writing teacher. I had just finished my first draft before I read Kittle's book, and I will be making some revisions before I submit my plan to my professor based on areas that I considered while reading her book and reflections from the final weekend of my class. Many of the ideas that I have been wresting with all year came up in the book.

Here's some of the components that the book prompted me to reflect on:
 *The use of quick writes in the writer's notebook: I often use quick writes; however, she uses quick writes daily and in a different way than I do. Her thorough discussion of how she integrates them will improve my writer's workshop.
*Grading and Feedback: The way that I grade in writer's workshop has changed throughout the year as I have experimented with different ideas for writing assessment. I had an aha moment when I read her thoughts that she grades the final product, while emphasizing the process in her classroom. She gives frequent feedback and support during drafts, and provides students with mentor texts of process through her own writing. She also allows for opportunities to re-submit writing for an improved score. I am still thinking through exactly how I want to set up my grading for next year, but she has definitely played a big part in helping me discover my set-up.
*Multi-genre writing: I had completed two multi-genre projects during college and enjoyed the process of each one. Yet, for whatever reason I have never done multi-genre writing with my students. That is one of the revisions that I will be making to my year-long curriculum plan. I can't wait to see how much fun my students have and can already picture where particular students' strengths and individual favorite genres will lead to fulfilling and amazing final products.
*Individual Focus: While Kittle gave a clear sense of the progression through different units of study during her course, she also made it apparent that she recognizes each class is a different set of learners requiring different things to be successful.
*Reflection and Portfolios: So far I have not had my students do enough formal reflection on their writing process and on themselves as writers. For example, I have not had my students do formal writing portfolios yet. This is an area that came up both in my writing class and in Kittle's book. I will be able to implement this during the spring because of the ideas and support from my class and the book.

There was so much to learn from Kittle. My favorite professional development books are always the ones that help me reflect on what is working and what can be fine-tuned with my current practices. I look forward to reading more of her resources that come up under her name on the Heinemann website. I already have Adolescent Literacy, and I will have to go back and read her contribution.

8 comments:

  1. I use a multigenre project with my freshmen and think it's one of the best units I teach. I have my students for four years and they refer back to their "genre" projects even as seniors. It's a powerful experience to really explore a topic/ interest in-depth through a variety of genres!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. DeRaps, I would love to hear more about your scope and sequence since you have the same students for four years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminders. I agree that we could always encourage and provide time for more reflection. Sometimes it just seems like such a relief to be "done" that we tend to focus on the final process and not give students time to absorb and reflection on all they've learned along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested in how it works having students resubmit work for higher grades. I feel like I would be drowned in revisions and new work. Does Kittle have any suggestions for that?

    Thank you for linking to my book review blog! I really love writing it and thinking about what books to recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that effort is a huge part of students perception of themselves as writers as well as building their confidence in writing. I haven't read this book yet but I've been looking forward to making changes within my writing curriculum to fit my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss K,
    In her book Penny Kittle mentioned that she initally had the same fear that it would be too time consuming. However, then she tried out opening up the opportunity for resubmissions as a trial. She made it clear to her students that they had to have an initial draft by the deadline in order to have the opportunity for later revisions/resubmissions.

    When students hand in their resubmissions, they staple it to the previous submission with a note on how they have improved it. I think this would be a key area to save time with resubmissions in order to review again for changes vs. rereading again and trying to figure out on your own what they changed.

    Her main rationale for this was that her "workshop begsins to feel real."

    (This information was from pp. 222-223, but I loved the whole section on assessment.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi you all,

    I had an experience with a student this week that directly applies to this, so I thought I'd share it. A girl is writing about turning 18 and getting a Facebook message from her father that day--the man she's never met, who has been waiting until she turned 18 to contact her.

    So the draft she turned in at the end of the two week unit had this terse little last line, something about she didn't need him, was fine without him in her life...

    So this unit she was done on Wednesday and I said, you know, that last piece wasn't finished, was it? It seemed like you gave up on your ending. She agreed. So I said, well, you might use the time over the next two days to think about it.

    The piece she turned in Friday was stunning. She's learning through writing. She's examining her thinking and her decisions. She's not only making the piece stronger, it is teaching her.

    I don't get buried with these re-drafts. They come in once in awhile and it is such an energizer to see a student move as a writer, that the grading is just nothing compared to that.

    But this is important... we're not talking about fix a few spelling hours and expect me to notice. Every re-draft has to be attached to the original grading sheet and that essay that has all of my comments, etc. on it so I can see what I highlighted as important to revise and see if the student did it.

    Good luck to all of you... write YOUR lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny,

    That seems to be true with so much in education - the extra time required for any given activity is all worth it when we notice student growth as a result. Thanks for the encouragement to recognize the benefits of offering and encouraging student revisions.

    ReplyDelete