Sunday, December 13, 2009

Book Response Letters

I just completed my fourth week of book response letters, and I wanted to post about how it has been going. I previously mentioned that I did not start the letters sooner because I originally found the idea of responding to my 50 students on a weekly basis daunting, but I found a system that made the process feasible. While it is still time consuming and a bit stressful at times to keep up with, I also find that it is one of my most enjoyable non-student contact activities. I love having this added level of insight into my students as readers.

Here are some quick thoughts on my ponderings as I am still new to letters:

*It is helpful to have a web page open to Amazon while reading/responding. I can quickly look up a book a student is talking about or answer questions they have, such as whether there is a sequel. I also double check information about books that I want to mention to them.

*Some students automatically wrote with the level of insights that I want to guide all students toward, while others still mainly write a summary. I have had discussions with the class about what the letters should be like. I can see that they will be on-going discussions to continue to nudge students in the right direction. After mentioning to students that I wanted them to be writing about what they think about as readers, including strategies they use, some students started to write about strategies in a generic way. For example, they listed out different strategies without connecting them to a book they are reading. As I have more experience with book response letters I will know how to introduce the concept better.

*I am planning on having some students start their own blogs fairly soon after the winter break, and I will have them write book reviews, rather than a book response letter. While these will not be exactly the same, it will still require students to process information about their books. They will still have a response from me, as well as the added possibility of peer feedback.

2 comments:

  1. *I love the idea of having Amazon open, lets face it I dont' think I will ever be able to read what they are all reading!
    * The summary in the response journals is something my students are stuggling with as well. I provided them with a list of "suggestions" that they keep in the back of their notebooks to refer to.
    * I like the idea of blogging reviews, and maybe the students that have moved on fromt he summary can be rewarded with that because they have moved to a "higher" level.

    LOOOOOOOve reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you enjoy reading my blog. I have discussed suggestions with my students that are posted on my class blog, but I have not given them a copy to put in their reader's notebooks. Maybe I will try this after break. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete