Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Chet Gecko Mystery Series



I just posted a brief review about the latest book in Bruce Hale's Check Gecko series, Dial M for Mongoose on my review site. I wanted to add a few more thoughts on this blog. Aside from being a quick-paced, humorous read from a series that my students from a range of reading levels read and loved last year, I also noticed that the book has a plethora of similes and metaphors. For my students who already love the series, I am glad to know that I will be able to use that hook to point out these literary devices.

Here are just a few of the examples from this book, but I assume that a quick skim of any of the books in the series would result in many more:

"But by this time, the odor had tiptoed on its little stink-footed feet throughout the class" (5).

"He was a tough-looking mole with a nose like an exploded eggplant and paws like a pair of catcher's mitts" (40).

"The heat swallowed me like a hungry python after a fast" (61).

No comments:

Post a Comment