Saturday, December 26, 2009

Bella at Midnight - Medieval Connections


I have been reading Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley with a group of my 6th and 7th grade girls as part of a book club. With book clubs I have found that I love it most when I am reading the book for the first time along with my students, so that my comments are an authentic initial reaction, rather than rereading or trying to think back to a book that I read a while back. While I would not read aloud a book without first viewing it, I have come to see that it has been effective with book clubs. I had bought the book last year and did not have a chance to have a group read it yet.

It was a fun surprise as I started reading to notice that there were many connections to our social studies unit on Medieval Europe and even more exciting to see that the students brought up the link before I was even able to mention it. Many of the events and descriptions fit perfectly with our units on the structure of feudalism, daily life, chivalry, and the role of the church. The setting made the book even more engaging, as the students looked forward to picking up on these details while also discovering the direction the plot would go. The book would have been a fun read anyway, but I especially recommend it to other students who are studying Medieval Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment