Saturday, May 16, 2009

Student Awards

This week our school's student awards are coming up. Our school previously decided to do one annual awards ceremony where every student gets an award. This structure was set up before I started working at the school, so I had to check in for clarification to see which type of awards. I was not sure if they were related to academics or not. It turns out they are more about character and personality rather than subject areas; however, some students who are passionate about a certain subject may have academic components as part of their award. I can see how the concept is a good match for the school's philosophy of everyone being learners together with a focus not only on content but also on character development. We rarely give extrensic motivators, but there are whole-school celebrations/traditions throughout the year that students look forward to. This is the one time in the year when students are officially recognized with awards (for example, we do not have any student of the week/month awards).

When my colleague let me know more details about the type of awards they are she suggested looking on-line for ideas. Previous staff members were trying to make sure that students were not getting the same award year after year. I am not sure which awards my 6th graders previously received, but I wanted to think closely about each of my students to try and decide on a unique award for each student that will make him/her feel proud.

As I started my web search I found a couple of sites with a variety of awards, such as this one. Yet, I only wanted to use a handful of the ideas that I thought were a good match for my vision of what the focus should be and age appropriate, such as: helping hands, doing your best, hard worker, and good listener. I was also trying to come up with my own list of names/concepts that I thought would work, such as book cheerleader (for my most voracious reader who spreads her enthusiasm for reading all over the class), collaboration/team work, take a stand (for students who stand up for what is right and to tie into a unit we did this year), enthusiasm, and positive attitude.

I had an aha moment when I was skimming the list on this site and noticed the Lewis and Clarke award for students who are excited to learn about and explore something new. I loved the concept of having a historical name represent qualities. Yet, I wanted to make sure that it was a reference to something that would be meaningful to my students, which got me thinking that maybe I could relate their awards to different concepts/units we have studied this year.

Here is my list of what I came up with. This is still a rough draft list though as it might change once I double check with co-workers who may have suggestions. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section as well. Of course students show multiple areas that I would be able to honor, but I tried to think of areas that would highlight at least one of their personality traits or talents. I also like that some student will have the same or similar aspects highlighted but they will each have their own, unique award name.

Ancient Greece and Rome:
My student teacher just taught a unit on Ancient Greece and Rome, so I found inspiration for awards going with that theme here.

1. Athena Award - Goddess of Wisdom for my passionate reader
2. Nike Award - Goddess of Victory for my student who really gets into sports
3. Hephaestus Award - God of Artisans for my artistic student who loves creating comics and inspired other students in the class to explore more with art
4. Hermes Award - God of Boundaries for my student who gets along well with his classmates and is a good example of our school's goal of fostering a love of bilingualism in our students
5. Poseidon Award - Earth Shaker for my student who always has the class rumbling with laughter
6. Janus Award - God of doorways aiding in beginnings, endings, and transitions for my student who helps make sure that everything is running smoothly
7. Jupiter Award - Protector of the state and its laws for my student who is a good model of the classroom and school expectations
8. Venus Award - Goddess of love and beauty for my student who wants to be a fashion designer and is always ready for the camera when many of her classmates duck or cover their faces

Take a Stand Unit:
9. Martin Luther King, Jr. Award - for my calm and peaceful student who works hard to make a change and meet her personal goals
10. Abraham Lincoln Award - for my student who tries to do what is right and watch out for her classmates, making sure that everyone is being treated with respect and fairness
11. Harriet Tubman Award - for my student who cheerfully navigates her classmates when they need assistance
12. Cesar Chavez Sí se puede Award - For my student who believes in standing up for what he believes and pointing out injustices. He also thinks anything is possible and is always thinking through every scenario
13. Gandhi Award - for my quiet, peaceful student with a lot going on in her mind
14. Rosa Parks Award - for my student who has shown a lot of effort and improvement in going out of her comfort zone
15. Susan B. Anthony Award - for a student who works well with and supports her classmates
16. Barack Obama Award - for my student who is always eager to try something new

Read Alouds:
17. Esperanza Rising Award for my student who joined the class as a native English speaker this year and has risen to the challenge of stepping into a dual immersion program later on in the process
18. El color de mis palabras Award for my student who has been very creative with writing and has also demonstrated compassion for her classmates
19. The Giver Award (also links with the Take a Stand Unit) - for my student who demonstrates hope and optimism
20. Love That Dog Award - for my caring student

Science:
(The Poseidan award also fits in here since we studied earth quakes earlier this year.)

21. Volcano Award - for my student who is always erupting with fascinating stories and enthusiasm
22. Water Cycle Award - for my student who is always busy with a lot of energy and enthusiasm for learning

Math:
23. Complementary Angles Award - for my student who works well with his classmates and balances out listening and talking well to complement his partners
24. Probability Award Award - for my student who always has a high probability of having a big smile and cheerful attitude
25. Conversions Award - for my student who joined the school this year who has been fun to watch make a conversion from being quiet and withdrawn to an active part of the class

No comments:

Post a Comment