Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Gifts

One of the new components of coming to my new school and being the first teacher with the middle school piece made for some assumptions that elementary teachers just know, such as making holiday and Mother's Day presents. Luckily, I heard some of the other teachers talking about the holiday presents earlier in the fall or else I probably would not have even heard about it until it was too late. My director laughed and said I was "such a middle school teacher". I already posted about my holiday present here.

For Mother's Day I decided to use an idea that my friends and I did when I was on a National Student Exchange to the University of Rhode Island by making frames with magazine clippings and cardboard. My students had fun thinking of ideas that would represent their moms' interests. It was fun to get a glimpse into their moms based on their selections. They chose everything from soccer to shopping to cooking to reading. In addition, the students mounted their picture on construction paper to cover the back of the frame (Their pictures are covered up in the photo above). Then they wrote a poem for their moms on the back of the frame. When I was in college we did finish them off by putting clear contact paper over the top, but I was not able to do that with my students. It will be fun to hear what their moms thought of them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment