Thursday, May 7, 2009

The CAFE Book - Appendix

My final post about The CAFE Book is about the very informative 60 page appendix filled with useful forms and reference materials. There is an accompanying CD with the documents as well, making it easy for teachers to access. They even thought ahead to have fillable forms using Adobe Acrobat. The only downside is that they cannot be saved; they have to be printed out.

The helpful information in the appendix includes launching suggestions, typical schedules, the CAFE menu, and various forms. One of my favorite components is a table with sample needs and strategies. It reminds me of the list that I love so much from Beer's What to Do When Kids Can't Read with suggestions on reading behaviors and specific needs. The other piece that I absolutely love takes up the majority of the appendix to break down each of the strategies on the menu to define them, explain why students need them, give a secret to success, how to teach it, and troubleshooting. This will be an invaluable section and complements other reading resources that I have well.

I am excited to incorporate a lot of the ideas from this book in my classroom next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment