Thursday, May 14, 2009

Family BBQ & Art Sale



Annually my school has a family BBQ and art sale toward the end of the year. I went last year knowing that I was going to be the 6th grade teacher in the fall, but this is my first year of actually being there as an official staff member. I really appreciate the importance of home-school communication at my school and the chance to showcase the students' hard work. The BBQ/Art Sale is one of these events. I do not have a lot of art background, but my students seemed to have fun doing their four art projects throughout the year to showcase tonight. When we studied ancient Egypt they did a drawing that they then painted, then we did a portrait and collage as part of our Take A Stand Unit (one of my assistants who has a lot more art background did a lesson on point perspective before they did their portrait drawings), and then they chose to do a design with their compass or a tessellation that linked into one of their math units. I enjoyed having their art link into our curriculum.

I appreciated the event both as a parent and as a teacher. It is always fun to have interactions with my students and their families, and I loved seeing my kindergartner's fun surprise pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment