Monday, May 4, 2009

The CAFE Book - Chapters 2 and 3

Throughout the book I love how there are mentions of Daily Five to get a clearer picture of how the concepts in the two books work together. Chapter two outlines an important component of the CAFE menu, the conferring notebook, which includes assessment data, daily observations, and teaching and learning. At first it seemed like a lot of different forms and paperwork. I wondered if there was a way to do it more efficiently, but as I read the later chapters of the book I could see why each form was essential.

I was also excited about the data/information that the framework of the notebook gives about each individual student. Last year I created a form for anecdotal records that I was pleased with. I had similar forms set up for my class this year, but for whatever reason I ended up not using them. This system will help assure that I keep regular records of student goals and growth to have tangible details about how they develop over the year. The form is even better than what I had been using because it is set up to have a clear link between observations and instruction. Last year I was working with students in a scripted program and was not able to do that much different regardless of what I noticed with the records.

In the third chapter, the authors discussed another essential part of the framework, the CAFE menu bulletin board. The board starts out blank at the beginning of the year, aside from the description of each of the words in the acronym. As strategies are introduced the bulletin board is filled out. There is also a spot for students to put their name under the section that is the focus of their current goal. The authors use post-it notes with their names, but I want to try having a name card for each student laminating that they can post with a tack and shift around as their goals change. It is nice that the bulletin board provides consistency throughout the whole year rather than just being a launching tool. Another great aspect of the bulletin board is that students play a large role in adding the strategy cards. The bulletin board needs to be in close proximity to the meeting area because the teacher refers to it often by touching the strategies discussed as one more step to get students familiarized with the tool.

Other examples of students playing a large role in their learning is that the teachers reiterate goals often so that students internalize their goals and demonstrate that they have a clear understanding of what they are working on. When they still are not very sure about their current strategies the teacher explains them again as many times as necessary. Patience is key.

The rest of the book explains each of the pieces in detail to get a clearer picture of how all components play a vital role to the framework.

No comments:

Post a Comment