Saturday, April 24, 2010

Reading Countess' "Recycle Your Reads"

I just finished reading a post over at the Reading Countess' blog. She explained how last year she got the idea to organize a book drive for her students (who come from financially stable backgrounds) to donate some of their books to another school that serves many students who are not as economically advantaged. I loved how she said, "In a time when people expect something for nothing, I offered no reward to my students. No homework passes, no 'shoes off' passes, and no bonus points would be awarded for them for giving to the worthy project. I wanted my kids to know what it was to give unselfishly because it was the right thing to do."

So how many books did her 5th graders donate last year?

210!

And this year when she decided to expand the idea to her whole school?

3,287!

I love how she inspired her students to be generous and conscious of how they can make a difference at their young age. I encourage you to read the full post for more details.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the nod! It was wonderful that BOTH schools will learn from the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete