Saturday, April 10, 2010

One more reason to be excited for Boothbay Literacy Retreat

Recently when I knew that I might be able to go to Heinemann's Boothbay Literacy Retreat I picked up a couple of Chris Crutcher's books that I had since he will be at the retreat. Both books, Athletic Shorts and Whale Talk were amazing.

I just listened to the podcast from last year's Boothbay Literacy Retreat with Kylene Beers, Robert Probst, and Chris Crutcher talking about his writing process. He discusses how he explores as he writes - having the plot develop as he goes, rather than knowing where it is going to end up when he starts writing. This reminded me of Stephen King's explanation of his process in his book On Writing.

The end of June will be here before I know it, and I am so looking forward to networking with others who are passionate about literacy.

2 comments:

  1. I just read Deadline by Chris Crutcher. I absolutely loved it and am thinking about teaching it within a journeys-themed course for seniors next year. What a talented writer he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am envious...I've heard such wonderful things about this retreat. Funny you should mention Stephen King's book on writing - I picked it up on a lark and found it to be one of the most insightful books on the writing process I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete