Sunday, November 14, 2010

Make Me a Story

Since technology integration into reading and writing workshop has been a main area of interest over the last couple of years, I was excited to see that Lisa Miller's Make Me a Story: Teaching Writing Through Digital Storytelling was a new Stenhouse title this fall. I was equally excited to see that Linda Rief wrote the foreword and that Miller is a professor at the University of New Hampshire. At the Boothbay Literacy Retreat this summer there were brochures available about UNH's summer writing institutes. Since then I have been more and more aware of just how many of my favorite writing leaders have connections to UNH, so I knew before I even started reading that it would probably be an excellent resource, closely aligned to my writing instruction philosophy. I was not disappointed.

In this practical guide aimed at K-5 teachers, Miller breaks down the nuts and bolts of digital storytelling, as well as highlighting the benefits. She focuses on Photo Story 3 (free for PCs) as an example program for classroom integration; however, she also briefly mentions other options. Always with a clear picture of quality writing instruction in mind, Miller walks her readers through the process of what to consider in planning and implementing lessons with digital storytelling with plenty of resources for images and music on-line. Toward the end of the book she includes a detailed step by step explanation with Photo Story screenshots, which I loved. Thus, it is a comprehensive book for those who truly are starting from scratch in order to implement digital storytelling. Yet, for those who are already familiar with Photo Story or other similar programs, the book still provides plenty of practical advice on important concepts to take into consideration when thinking about the role technology should play in literacy instruction and how to scaffold students with digital storytelling. In addition, the book comes with a CD-ROM with examples that are referenced at different points in the text.

I am thrilled to add this book to my literacy resources and to share with colleagues. Though I just learned about Photo Story toward the end of last year, I only used it once with my students. This book was a great reminder to think about where I can weave it in to my curriculum.

*Copy provided by the publisher

No comments:

Post a Comment