Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Hunger Games Book Club

I just finished reading The Hunger Games on Friday night. It's one of those books that I can't believe it too me so long to read since so many people have raved about it. One of the most recent people telling me that I just had to read the book was a classmate in my summer YA lit class. She was talking about how it has been a really great cross over novel appealing to teens and adults. When I realized that I needed to get a few more book club sets for my 8th graders, The Hunger Games was at the top of my list. Right now I am reading it with a group of five students - a mixture of boys and girls.

When we were dividing up the pages, one of the boys was complaining about the amount, but I told him that would not be a problem because he would not want to stop reading. Sure enough, the next day he had already read to where he needed to be in a few days.  Before our first book club meeting one of the girls asked if we could just finish the book, which gave me an idea. 

At our meeting I proposed that we just finish the book and roll right into Catching Fire, which is what the group decided to do. They do not have to finish until after Thanksgiving because we are going to be in a Spanish week, but I know that some have already finished it. When I read the last page Friday night, I decided to pull out yet another proposal. If they want to have Catching Fire for the break, we could have a lunch time book club to wrap up The Hunger Games and pass out the second book. 

The book is rich with discussion points, and I just downloaded the question guide off the Scholastic website, as they will be interesting questions to ponder. I love that it also includes background information from the author's point of view. The link at the top of the post on the title goes to my review of the book if you would like to see my thoughts on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment