Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Student Blogging Saga Continues

Ever since my initial set backs with starting individual student blogs last winter, I have been thinking about different options. After our initial Blogger glitch, we signed our school up for Google Apps Education edition to at least have access to services such as email and Google Docs. I had been disappointed that Blogger was not included in that package. Yet I thought that it was okay - Blogger could wait until this year when my 8th grade students would all be thirteen. Most recently I talked about Blogger vs. Kid Blogs. I had decided that I wanted to go with Blogger. Yet, I was still going back and forth. I considered that even though Kid Blogs were not as visually appealing, maybe it was a better option to launch blogs. Then I realized that in an effort to simplify blogs for students, there were not any capabilities to put tags, labels, or widgets, which would make it hard to use them the way I wanted to. Thus, it was back to Blogger for my preferred option for 8th graders. I thought about how I could use Kid Blogs for 6th and 7th graders solely to record books read this year with a review/response post.

Today was the big day (again) to set up student blogs via Blogger. I was thrilled. I set up my own blog using my Google App Education edition email to make sure that it was going to work. It was all slick and smooth just like when I set up my personal Blogger accounts using a Gmail address. However, once the students were in the room it was not long before I started having flashbacks to last year's roadblocks. Rather than going from the initial information page to the blog set-up, it prompted students to verify their accounts either via a text message or voice call. I remained calm and told the students that they could do their independent reading while I went around to each student individually with my cell phone in hand to get their verification codes. I thought that was a pretty smart way to not panic and be a problem solver - that is until about the sixth student when an error message came up saying that the number provided had already verified the maximum number of accounts allowed per phone number. As a last ditch effort I had the other students click on a form to explain the difficulties with verifying the accounts.

As I had a little more time to reflect during the day, I was ready to go with Kid Blogs tomorrow. I did not want to go through any more hassles with Blogger. Then I remembered that a teachers in one of my summer school classes talked about a professor using Google Sites in another one of her classes. I went into my education edition account and saw that Google Sites was an option. I was able to quickly set up my own site and played around just a little bit. I realized that they did have an option to add on announcement page(s) that functions essentially like a blog.

Tomorrow I will start the next phase of the process - setting up student Google Sites. In some ways it seems like it might end up being even better than Blogger for an educational context. It will just take me a little bit to get familiar with its different capacities. Hopefully it will be a case of "Third times a charm!" If not my students will probably get pretty skeptical any day that I tell them it is time to set up their very own blogs! I don't see any way that there will be glitches with Google Sites though since it is included with the education edition...

4 comments:

  1. Your GAFE administrator will be able to set up your blogs ect sometime soon. Can you just hold off for a while. I went to a Google Seminar in Mountain View a couple of weeks ago and they said it will come out this fall. My suggestion... get them going with Google Docs, and peer editing and sharing.
    ~~Teacher in TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Your blog entries have been helpful to me as I attempt to integrate them into my 4/5 classroom this year. At your convenience, can you please try to explain to me how Kids Blog's simplicity would inhibit you from using the blogs the way you envision? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joshua,

    I will try to do a post about that soon, hopefully this evening or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Just to provide a bit more information, I'm leaning toward Kid Blog because of its reported simplicity. My current thinking is that blogging will provide a nice hook to get my students to express their opinions more frequently and interact with each others' ideas. As you mentioned, it seems like an effective platform for book logging/reviews. Finally, I'm considering using it as a way to communicate to parents more about what we are doing in class. To your knowledge, would Kid Blogs help me accomplish these goals?

    ReplyDelete