Sunday, August 15, 2010

Checking In

(Our required textbooks, in addition to articles and research handbook chapters)
Posted by Picasa

For the last five weeks my blogging activity has been close to non-existent as I was busy with an intensive five week summer session to take two of the core courses for my Ed.D. program. Though I was doing a lot of reflecting and thinking, I did not have time to post as I was trying to strike a balance between school and family, realizing that it was possible only if I cut out/reduced a lot of my other favorite activities, such as blogging and some of my reading for pleasure. It has been worth it though, as I love the benefits of being back in face to face classes having philosophical discussions with colleagues. One course focused on research perspectives, and it was a great introduction to the program to work toward establishing a critiquing lens when reviewing research studies/articles, as well as considering how others will view my own future research. The other course focused on critical pedagogy and the purpose of education. It was especially beneficial for reflecting on myself as an educator and refining my beliefs. 

Thursday I went to my last class and emailed off my last assignment. It was such a relief, but there was not any time to sit back and relax. The next morning I got up to go back to my official first day back to school. This year I am feeling more confident than ever before, the great feeling with being at the same position for multiple years. This year I will be focusing solely on reading and writing; however, I plan on collaborating so that some of our assignments can support the social studies content as well. 

A week from Monday I will also start my fall semester classes, Curriculum and Qualitative Research. They will be two back to back classes, so I will leave right when the students do and go right to bed when I get home. Luckily, I will have the whole week to complete assignments before the next class meeting. I already have my textbooks, and there are many that look like they will be really interesting. 

This week I will be trying to post some of the posts rolling around in my head. Some I will program as I have a chance, and others I will hopefully make time for. However, while I am teaching and in my Ed.D. program my posting will largely depend on how much time I have once the girls are in bed and homework/school preparation is complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment