Friday, December 24, 2010

Push In Support 5: Present Goals

As with any venture in teaching, a co-worker and I have been excited to do push in reading support this year as opposed to the pull out model that we did last year, but we know that it will be a continual process. We have been pleased with our progress but constantly have present areas of focus in order to improve, especially in this first year.

Right now we are still focusing on documentation. Since we recently refined our anecdotal records process, we are monitoring to see how the new system is working and to make any adjustments as needed. One huge advantage has been that my co-worker is very organized. I have always considered myself as being organized, but she sets a whole new standard for organization. That has been instrumental in our discussions about how we wanted to organize certain components.

Thus far, my co-worker has not been teaching focus lessons which was our original intent. It ended up working better to layer in different components though, and I think that we will be able to add in having her teach some of the lessons soon. Nonetheless, she has been doing an excellent job weaving in teaching points to book club discussions and conferring sessions. It is one more example, where we are able to talk about current goals for the classroom and collaborate to have multiple layers of support for students.

I am excited to see where our collaborations and discussions will take us in the rest of the school year. I feel so fortunate to work with a colleague whose literacy vision is so closely aligned to my own. I can tell how we push each other's thinking and keep each other grounded on our highest priorities for the literacy environment that we want to create for our students.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I found your blog. It is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are enjoying it. I just went to see your blog as well. I love finding new blogs based on people who comment on mine! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete