Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Wrap Up

2010 has been an eventful year professionally, and it has provided ample time to reflect on my teaching career. I'm now in my 6th year of teaching and enjoying my students as much as ever. I have been with my 8th graders for three years, my 7th graders for two, and enjoying the fresh personalities of my 6th grade class. Each unique class pushes me in my teaching, and it has been fulfilling to better understand the 6th-8th grade range of readers and writers this year.

While doing some winter break organizing I have also been thinking about students from the other two (four counting student teaching) schools where I have taught. Each placement has been unique, but the one uniting theme has been the joy that students bring.

Aside from the everyday moments in my classroom that I often mention in my slices of life, here are some professional highlights from 2010:
  • Being able to attend the Boothbay Literacy Retreat will be a highlight for years to come. I hope that someday I will be able to financially afford to go back. So many inspirational people in one place...
  • I started my Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction this year; I have been growing as a professional because of it. I love spending time with my classmates talking about education, reflecting on my experiences, and further strengthening my own personal philosophies. 
  • Implementing Push-In reading support with one of my colleagues, aligned with both of our literacy philosophies. 
I have a lot to look forward to in 2011 with my students and in my Ed.D. program. 

1 comment:

  1. You accomplished so much! Happy New Year - here's to checking in with each others' blogging life and continuing to grow as teachers!

    ReplyDelete