Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Guy Books"

For the YA Lit class that I am taking, I decided to focus on "guy books" after that was the way one of my students referred to most of the books that he read this year from our classroom library. Last year when I would book talk a lot of the books that I bought to read and then passed on to the library, many of the boys would grumble that they were mainly girl books. This year I made more of a conscious effort to buy more books for the boys; I still have a lot of catching up to do though. So, while I have plenty of books that are more appealing to girls in my to read pile, I thought the class would be a great chance to buy more books for boys. There are not any required texts other than YA books, so it was a nice excuse to justify placing a couple of Amazon orders, thinking about how much I typically spend on textbooks for other college courses!



This week I read Tyrell and Mexican Whiteboy to see if they would be a good fit for my incoming 8th grade boys. However, because of the mature themes mentioned in Tyrell, my initial gut instinct is that it would be better for high school students. Mexican Whiteboy also has a lot of mature content, but I am leaning toward including it. You can see more thoughts about Tyrell here and about Mexican Whiteboy here. I am thinking that a lot of the books I chose will be tough calls on whether or not they are a good fit for a middle school vs. high school classroom library because a lot of the boys are drawn to books with real life problem/issues themes. 

The two required books for the course were The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and American Born Chinese. Then we each needed to choose seven more books, with a few stipulations. They are all supposed to be award winners or on recommended lists. At least one had to be a "problem" novel and one had to be historical fiction. 

Here are my seven books, aside from the two already mentioned:
Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by David Lubar
Deadline by Chris Crutcher
Copper Sun by Sharon Draper
Inexcusable by Chris Lynch
Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford

These are the other books that I bought on the same order with the boys in mind:
Crash Boom Love by Juan Felipe Herrera (The girls have been crazy about novels in verse this year, I want to get more novels in verse that will also appeal to boys)
Romiette and Julio by Sharon Draper
The First Part Last by Angela Johnson
Growing Up in Slavery: Stories of Young Slaves as Told By Themselves by Yuval Taylor (We are supposed to read a non-fiction piece on the same topic as our historical fiction pick.)
Fire from the Rock by Sharon Draper
Street Love by Walter Dean Myers

I also pulled a few other books from my TBR pile to make sure and read this summer. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like my dream class! What are you getting your degree in?

    I am adding Yuval Taylor's book to our wishlist right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is my dream class for sure! I am getting an Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!! This class sounds awesome...we have three weeks of school to go, and then I get to dive into your reading list!

    ReplyDelete