Saturday, February 20, 2010

iTouch/Google Docs Collecting Data

Once again an idea hit me on how to be even more efficient with the data that I collect while conferring with readers. Earlier this week I mentioned I was at a technology conference and exploring on the new iTouch that my director bought for teachers at our school in order to familiarize ourselves with them before we roll them out for 1-to-1 student use. The possibilities will be endless, including a powerful way to combine Google Docs forms with the iTouch.

At a Google Docs presentation the presenter showed us how to quickly and easily create forms and how they show up in a Google Docs spreadsheet. Right away my teaching partner and I created a form to track discipline. Now we will have one, central location for to track student behavior and infractions. In addition, other staff members will also be able to input tracking information. We always share with our students that they should, "Do what is right even when nobody is watching." Utilizing Google Docs forms will make it even easier for them to feel a sense of accountability of meeting up to our high behavior expectations.

Next, I realized that Google Docs forms would also be an excellent tool for conferring. I created a form for reading conferences. I am still deciding how much I will use it, but I will use it for sure for quick check ins. For example, a recent focus lesson revolved around questioning. Given a similar situation, I would create a quick form to mark off students' present level of ability to apply the strategy to their reading. It will automatically be in a spreadsheet and I will be able to provide sufficient support in a more timely manner, as opposed to needing to collect, sort, and make decisions the old way.

The iTouch will be so convenient when I am doing quick conferences and only documenting specific information in a form that does not require me to type out a longer reflection. When I want to be able to type out a longer response I will still utilize a laptop.

So many possibilities. So much to get excited about...

No comments:

Post a Comment