Saturday, September 26, 2009

Reading Workshop Reflections

We are now five weeks into the year and just wrapped up our fall conferences. The first quarter has been flying by. Last week I finished up administering QRIs in English and Rigby running records in Spanish (for those who were still within the level range available for the assessment). This weekend I have been able to analyze my data and decide my students' strengths and needs as I transition from setting up expectations and administering assessments to small group instruction and one on one conferring.

I have also been reflecting on the CAFE Menu in general. For my middle schoolers who are already reading above grade level, I am planning on having them participate solely in book clubs and independent reading. At this point, I do not think that it is necessary to provide CAFE Menu strategy lessons because they are already comprehending what they read and utilizing many of the skills. Up to this point they have been getting exposure to the concepts through our whole class lessons.

However, over the last couple of weeks I have been reflecting on how it is hard to fit in all the components that I thoughtfully considered as I was developing my literacy block this summer. This weekend an idea popped into my mind that maybe I do not need to do the whole class CAFE lessons. It may be better to use them solely in small group settings, as needed. Yet, I am not completely sold on this concept because I also like the idea of all students in my room getting exposed to the different areas. As it is, I already narrowed down the items on the menu. I kept all of the comprehension strategies, but I reserved some of the items to only use on an as needed basis in small group meetings. For example, many students are at the stage as readers that they do not need as much support in accuracy. They have already developed these skills as readers.

Initially I am planning on cutting back on my whole class lessons, which will make more time available for work in their reader's notebook using Buckner's ideas. The time will also be utilized to extend the independent reading/small group instruction time on some days. I will also be able to dedicate more time to much needed book talks, an area that has been scheduled in but then often skipped over when there was not enough time to do everything. I know making book talks, a hallmark of reader's workshop, a priority is essential. I can't continue to skip over them in my lessons.

Whereas, The CAFE Menu concepts will be essential for my students who still need assistance with comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and expanding vocabulary, established students have different needs. With book clubs I will make sure that they continue to utilize strategies to comprehend more challenging texts. Some of my students have expressed interest in classics, such as Jane Austen and Shakespeare, but they are not accessible for them to read on their own. I may integrate some of these books into their book clubs later on this year, so that that they will challenge themselves as readers with the support of their peers and an adult.

I am excited to start this new phase of beginning small group instruction. I am comfortable with the goals that I have for each of my students and the groupings. The area where I need to closely monitor and adjust is during Spanish weeks. It was easy to group my 7th graders according to need because I know about them as readers from last year. A large portion of my 6th graders are beyond the scope of the Rigby assessments we have, and I have not had a chance to really get to know them as readers in Spanish yet.

Getting a better grasp on my new students' Spanish literacy needs and continuing to adjust and adapt the components of my reading block to best utilize the available time will be my primary goals over the next few weeks. I will also have to keep a close eye on making sure that the expectations for independent reading time continue to be apparent as there is a chance for a higher level of distractions with the noise generated from small group instruction.

The importance of analyzing literacy data and utilizing it to guide instruction is one of the threads on the discussion group about Jennifer Allen's new book A Sense of Belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment