Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sharing Personal Writing Goals with Students

Earlier this summer I mentioned how my students never forget about my mention during the winter that I am working on my first young adult novel (or any novel at that). This week as I introduced my first ever Author Tip Tuesday a student shot up his hand to ask about my own venture as an author. The truth is my novel still has a ways to go. I have not set it as high of a priority as I need to if I want to finish it in the near future. However, I decided to set my vulnerability aside and let my students get the first glimpse of the book.

Tonight I reread through my first three chapters. The book is told from multiple perspectives, so each of the selected chapters are told from one of the three cousins. I copied and pasted the text into a separate word document and formatted them with a landscape orientation and two columns so that it looks more official than when it is in my regular word document.

Friday I will have my class split up into three groups and each group will read one of the perspectives. They will not only get to see a glimpse of my book, but I will also use it as a teachable moment about constructive criticism. It will be even better for them to hone their skills in this area on me so that I can develop tougher skin rather than with their classmates who may not be as accustomed to receiving criticism yet (I was not until I college, but hopefully my students will become comfortable with it as middle schoolers). Then I will give them feedback in order to finesse their constructive criticism for suggestions with their classmates the rest of the year.

I also look forward to seeing what they think. While I am nervous, at the same time it is good for me to put myself in their shoes and the insecurities of sharing writing.

2 comments:

  1. You're very brave to share your work Mrs. V! I'm sure your kids will be even more effective editors knowing that this work is personally connected to you and that it will be a fantastic read for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

    ReplyDelete