Saturday, July 2, 2011

Reading and Writing Workshop Training: Writer's Notebooks

Yesterday I shared which Heinemann resources I will use for an upcoming Reading and Writing Workshop Training. A huge portion of the workshop will focus on teachers as writers, as well as experiencing the workshop setting from the learner side. As such, I will be using writer's notebooks to model the process of gathering ideas, mirroring the process that I use with my students. 

Back in 2007 I went on a summer exchange for educators to Mexico (now located in Argentina) through AHA International and had a course with Dr. Marsha Riddle Buly. Through the class, I was introduced to writer's notebooks and am so thankful that I attended the course as it has definitely been a pivotal experience for me as a literacy teacher. I continue to value the power of writer's notebooks that she introduced to me.


After Dr. Riddle Buly sparked my interest in notebooks, I began to read more and more, as well as integrating them into my classes and learning through experience. Aimee Buckner's book was highly influential, as well as posts on Two Writing Teachers.

I also absolutely love Ruth Ayres new blog that focuses on her as a writer, giving frequent glimpses into her writer's notebooks. I will be highly recommending this site, as well as participating in Two Writing Teacher's Slice of Life Story Challenges.

4 comments:

  1. I love Notebook Know-How. Great resource. Have you read her other book? Reader's Notebook I think its called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bree,

    Yes, I have read her other book as well and also loved it. She's one of the authors that I think it is good to revisit her books multiple times - so beneficial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read "Notebook Know-How" and thought it was good. I have a sort-of related question: How do you integrate the use of a notebook in middle school? We don't get a lot of time with the students as it is, so how do you schedule writing time? Every day? Bellwork time? I look forward to reading your posts regarding Reading and Writing Workshop. I am a fourth-year teacher who is just now getting a handle on the myriad lessons that "Language Arts" includes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashlee, Thanks for your questions. I will be doing a post tomorrow (Sat., July 9) to respond to them. "Language Arts" does include so much!

    ReplyDelete