Monday, November 30, 2009

When Writing Workshop Isn't Working


After reading What Student Writing Teaches Us, I ordered Overmeyer's first book, When Writing Workshop Isn't Working: Answers to Ten Tough Questions Grades 2-5, because I enjoyed his writing style and expertise so much. In the introduction Overmeyer states, "This book is organized in a series of questions followed by some suggestions that I hope are practical for your classroom. I don't see the suggestions as definitive answers [...] It isn't about the answers; it's about learning. [...] I have always loved talking to teachers about what works for them, and I especially love talking to those who know that what works today may need to be adjusted tomorrow because each day is different" (3). This explains so well what I like about the style of writing in my favorite professional development books, authors who set the tone as a learner with thoughts to consider on a continual journey to improve and reflect.

Because I am teaching in a dual immersion school where all of my students are language learners, I especially appreciated that Overmeyer had sections focusing on considerations for English Language Learners in almost every chapter. I liked that described how he has successfully implemented his ideas and adjusted the level of scaffolding to best meet the needs of a range of language proficiency levels. I am able to apply all of the suggestions to my Spanish Language Learners as well.

This book provides a lot of practical advice to successfully launch and sustain a writers workshop, providing sufficient scaffolding for students to flourish. I will be integrating a lot of his ideas. For example, I loved his peer revision form (84) that guides students to taking ownership in the process, scaffolding revision with stacking the deck (93), and standardized testing preparation (105). I am trying out stacking the deck for the first time this week.

Overmeyer's book is yet another resource that I was able to connect to and write a lot of notes while reading. I am so excited about the plethora of quality resources available that are at my reach when planning, reflecting, and teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment