Monday, November 30, 2009

The Unfinished Angel

I have not been posting as much about Teachable Moments in Literature as I had planned on when I first came up with the idea. I just finished reading The Unfinished Angel by one of my favorite authors Sharon Creech. I loved it just as much as I have loved all of Creech's books that I have read. I noticed that this book appears to be more accessible to students that are not reading at grade level than some of her other books. The book has short brief chapters but still leaves the reader with a lot to ponder.

Creech's craft leaves room for a lot of teaching points. In this book one that stands out is the use of onomatopoeia. Frequently throughout the book there are words to represent various sounds such as drums, a nail gun, a dog barking. As with many of Creech's books, it also uses some words from different languages. Since I work at a dual immersion school and students have a love of languages, I can show how Creech integrates different languages and what she does to help her readers who may not speak that particular language. The book is also an excellent opportunity to talk about moving a plot along and revealing the story bit by bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment