Sunday, October 25, 2009

Standards-Based Grading Q&A with Mark Overmeyer

A couple of weeks ago when I read Mark Overmeyer's What Student Writing Teaches Us , it sparked an interest in standards-based grading. However, I was left with many questions on how to successfully use the concept in the classroom. Mark was generous enough to participate in a Q&A for my blog on the topic.

He began his comments with some thoughts to keep in mind when reading his responses:

Please note that all comments below are based on the premise that the standards used are strong standards. A standards-based grading system is only as strong as the standards themselves.

Overall, I think the standards used by my district are strong (and when they don't work, I use the NCTE / IRA standards).


With your experience with standards-based grading do teachers do a combination of daily assignments and standards assignments, or is it more beneficial to have the whole grade composed of standards based assignments?

My own experience with standards-based grades had been most successful when I connect every single assignment to one or more standards. I do less grading, and pay much more attention to my daily assignments. I no longer add assignments just to get more points in the gradebook. One assignment can span one or more standards: If I ask students to summarize their understanding of a science concept, I can score them on the science standard addressed, and also on the writing standard that requires them to concisely summarize a topic.

Using standards-based grading, how do teachers communicate progress in courses? Rather than progress reports with an overall average of assignments would it be a progress report with current demonstrations of work toward a standard that parents/students know they will be able to improve if they demonstrate a higher level of mastery throughout the quarter?

It is not that much different from my regular work with parents - perhaps just more clear. Remember that I said I always connect an assignment to a standard. My gradebook is organized into categories based on standards, and the assignments are not organized just by date. So, when I print grades, everything is printed according to the standard addressed. One assignment (as mentioned above) might list points for more than one standard. Averaging is a tricky question - there are whole books about grading (My favorite is Fair Isn't Always Equal by Wormeli), so this is not easy to address in a short space. But, I can determine how well students are doing, using a point system, and still use standards. For example, I may give students 5 points maximum for a list of possibilities they develop for their upcoming personal narratives. This addresses the standard about developing an effective writing process. Effective writers often come up with more than one idea so that they do not abandon the writing process when their first idea does not work. It seems fair to give 5 points to any student who has 2 - 5 ideas for the personal narrative. As students develop their pieces, I might give points for strong leads, points for specific supporting details, and points for structuring narratives effectively. These points can be given along the way - and when students take their piece to a more "final" copy, I can score it on a rubric and give them an overall score. Parents can chart progress in the same way they always do - I am just categorizing assignments intentionally by standard rather than by the date I give the assignment. Again - this works best when I never grade an assignment that is not based on standards.

How many grades would a teacher typically have for a quarter/semester? (Just one for each standard addressed in the grading period or more?)

I give fewer grades now. But, if I keep in mind that the practice I give students should pay off, I do not want to wait three to four weeks to give some points, because then I have no way of measuring progress along the way. So, many teachers I know give 1 to 2 grades per week, based on standards, and based on what students need to practice to get better at what we are actually writing.

How many standards do you typically address in a grading period?

When I am speaking about writing, based on my state standards, I would address all standards in all grading periods, because there are two main standards: Writing for various purposes, and Conventions.

Was standards-based grading a school-wide decision in your experience or a teacher to teacher decision?

I began standards-based grading systems for myself in the mid-1990s. Now, my entire district has standards based report cards for all elementary schools.

My students currently have some regular assignments, such as word study, an at home reading log, and reading and writing workshop participation. When students are absent they have to read/write for the equivalent amount of time that they would have done in workshop for the day in order to earn their workshop points. If I switched to standards-based grading would it be typical to not record such assignments in the grade book and communicate to students that they are beneficial in order to work toward demonstrating competency in the standards but will not count in the grade book?

I only grade based on standards. So, if I can address a standards for writing and reading on their in class work, how does this connect to a standard? It might connect in some way to comprehension, or to some type of writing process mentioned in standards - but if I cannot connect this practice to a specific standard, I do not grade it. I think writing and reading every day are very, very important - but the only way I know if this practice of reading and writing every day pays off is to connect this practice to a standard. (but see caveat above - this only works if the standards themselves are strong)

Do you report standards based grades as a letter grade on report cards or use a numbering system?

On the current report card, both are reported - numbers (4,3,2,1) and grades.

I appreciate Mark's insights. I already have plans for some changes to my grading practices for the start of the second quarter based on his comments and those of others. Reading his book and comments came at a perfect time for me, as I was already reflecting on the best way to assess and grade with a workshop model.

No comments:

Post a Comment