Monday, October 19, 2009

Wall Space

As Stacey previously mentioned, I have a lot of wall space to display student work. I was excited to display some of their work Friday evening. I had a long day at the school by staying late, but I left energized knowing that my students' work was finally up.

(Picture temporarily down - I realized that the photo I took shows one of the Heart Maps with the students name clearly showing in the picture, so I am going to take a different picture to add later.)
I put all of their heart maps above the counter/shelving. I wanted to have them in a location where they were very visible, yet not down low where someone might accidentally bump them. Students put a lot of thought into their heart maps, and I did not want them to get torn or scuffed up inadvertently.

 
Posted by Picasa

Originally I was going to create our bulletin board for social studies, but then I thought about how it was a perfect opportunity for students to be involved with the creation. For each section, I post an essential question. Then students create visuals for areas that I direct them to represent key concepts from our chapters. The first one shows an introductory geography challenge to start out our unit. I created a lot of this, but a couple of students filled in the map.

The second section is a better representation of what it will usually look like. Students created a visual for four main areas that we studied in which the Roman Empire continues to influence modern life. They completed the visuals in small groups.

I look forward to utilizing other areas of wall space to display more student work. Friday I also set up an outline for our time line and students will be creating different dates to add to the time line as we move through our unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment