Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gearing Up for Summer School and a Look Back

This weekend I am looking forward to enjoying my last bit of early summer vacation before starting a month of summer school on Monday. I have thoroughly enjoyed my break. Even though the two weeks off included our scheduled teacher work day for grading and two days of training, I still found a lot of time for family, rest, relaxation, and little projects around the house.

Tomorrow I will be going back to the school where I taught my first year as a high school ESL/Spanish teacher four years ago. I will get to see the last of my students still at the school graduate. While I was there, I saw my seniors graduate, and the past two years I was not able to go back for my juniors and sophomores. Many of my students were freshman, but I am not sure how many of my students are still there. It will be my first time back at the school since I taught there, and I can hardly wait. Seeing my students and how much they have changed from their freshman to senior year will be a fun surprise. I have seen one of my students about a year ago because he is related to my husband's side of the family and he was so much taller. I can only imagine how much everyone will have changed.

My first year teaching was a very memorable and positive experience. While I ended up not staying in the community long-term because it had a high cost of living, that year has had a huge impact on who I am as a teacher and I am very thankful to have had such an ideal situation to shape my education career.

No comments:

Post a Comment