Friday, July 8, 2011

What Really Matter for Struggling Readers

This summer as I am reading away for my literature review, I have realized that Richard Allington is one of my favorite literacy researchers. While reading his book, What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs, so much of what he said resonated with me. I appreciate his convictions that he backs up with quality research, while also providing suggestions on how to be critical consumers of research.

Often when thinking about assessments and student growth, I think about whether or not those assessments are measuring something that I value most highly. In the introduction to the What Really Matters Series, it says, "Our aim is that all children become active and engaged readers and writers and that all develop the proficiencies needed to be strong independent readers and writers" (p. ix), which aligns with what is most often in the back of my mind when evaluating the merit of different opinions on literacy. Throughout the book Allington comes back to this concept often as the title "really matters" implies.

While reading it is easy to see that Allington is an authority in the field, having a strong grasp on the current educational context, as well as the historical roots. I appreciated his thorough explanation of research and policy, as well as the impact of different stakeholders not paying attention to the research. He complements the research with many examples of school and classroom implications. Most importantly, he shares his thought provoking expertise with an engaging voice that makes for an enjoyable read.

Flipping through the book my notes and underlinings are everywhere. If I had to choose one book for literacy teachers to read, this might just be it!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book! Also check out What Really Matters in Fluency. Allington is so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look for it. It seems like that whole What Really Matters series is probably great!

    ReplyDelete