Friday, July 1, 2011

Reading and Writing Workshop Training: Heinemann Resources

This summer my to-do list keeps on growing, but one of the items that I am most looking forward to is putting on a training for teachers at my school and potentially a couple from another school in the area focusing on k-8 reading and writing workshop. I will be posting about my planning, as well as how it goes, but for now I wanted to post some of the main Heinemann resources that I will be utilizing.

From Nancie Atwell:


Her DVD bundle Reading in the Middle and Writing in the Middle (I still need to post about these.)


Lessons that Change Writers

It looks like the school will end up being able to get Lucy Calkin's workshop resources. I am crossing my fingers and can't wait to actually preview these materials in preparation. I think Calkin's resources will be the perfect k-5 support, while the 6-8 teachers will be able to utilize Atwell's Lessons that Teach Writers that the school already has.


Units of Study for Primary Writing: A Yearlong Curriculum


Units of Study for Teaching Writing, Grades 3-5

Tomorrow I will be posting about writer's notebooks in relation to the training.

7 comments:

  1. I wish I was in your district to learn about all these awesome resources! Please do share! Looking forward to it and happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lucky duck! We don't have the $ to buy this through the school...do you think it's worth it to purchase it out of pocket??? So expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I will post more if I am able to actually get the Calkins resource to see. The Heinemann link has quite a few sample clips and it seems like they are very high quality. I was so close to ordering them on my own just to have as a resource for trainings and to use with my own daughters. However, if the school is able to purchase them it would be ideal because I know they would be very useful for teachers throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. V, I have attended Lucy Calkins' Institutes on the Teaching of Writing and Reading several times and they totally changed my teaching. For me, I never want to do anything but workshop teaching because there is differentiation for every student. It also affords them SO much more exposure to texts.
    I love that you mentioned two of my teaching heroes, Nancie Atwell and Lucy Calkins, in one post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss K,

    You are so lucky. Being able to attend one of Calkins' institutes is at the top of my dream PD experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I preferred the Reading Institute to the Writing, but they were both amazing. I'd love to go back someday.
    My current dream PD is to spend a week observing at Nancie Atwell's school, The Center for Teaching and Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would definitely be amazing as well Miss K. I can't wait to hear about it if you are able to go!

    ReplyDelete