Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pathways to Early Literacy Series: Discoveries in Writing and Reading



Following along with my curiosity into early childhood and primary literacy development, Marie Clay's new series, Pathways to Early Literacy Series: Discoveries in Writing and Reading, including How Very Young Children Explore Writing, What Changes in Writing Can I See?, and The Puzzling Code caught my attention. Once I received them, I read through them quickly as they are brief, each only 52 pages or less. Though there is some cross-over, such as having the same first pages to give the series overview and introduction, each book has its own specific focus.


One aspect that was emphasized throughout all books and that closely aligns with my philosophy was the image of parents and teachers as close observers - setting up the stage for children to be curious about reading and writing, helping children build a strong desire to explore, celebrating new attempts, and gently introducing new avenues for continual growth. While reading, I was often thinking back to my own daughter and how much her literacy has taken off this year, about how glad I am that I resisted having her switch into a special education pull-out model where she would have received scripted instruction, about how she just needed more time and space to develop at her own pace, in this frantic, data-driven educational context.


Lately my daughters have been fascinating me - two distinct individuals, at two different stages (almost four and almost eight). Earlier this year I started to officially document their literacy growth and what I am noticing in a writer's notebook. I have been reflecting on what I notice and how my experiences with them and my teaching experiences are reciprocal, both supporting each other. I was thrilled to see Clay encouraging parents to do what I had just barely started - dating and collecting writing and noticing growth and new explorations, as well as observations about their awareness of print.

I wish that every child had a caring adult noticing, observing, celebrating, and encouraging as Clay recommends. In the spirit of parents' role in literacy development I just read a post for the Slice of Life Challenge that goes along so perfectly with the intent of this series with Kevin explaining his son presenting him with his first comic. I love how well he captured his son's mannerisms.

I appreciate that the series of books are short and to the point, while providing many examples of student explorations at various stages. Each one can be read as a stand-alone or as a group of three. Through reading the book I received affirmations of what I am already doing, as well as additional suggestions to support my daughters' literacy development.

Because the intended audience is parents, caregivers and teachers of preschoolers and new entrants, I know that not all readers would have an education/literacy background. I think the length and format of the texts is ideal for the audience as an overview and foundation of literacy philosophies. My sister has a kindergartner and an almost three year old, so I would like to share the books with her and see what she thinks.

I am excited to continue learning alongside them. Soon I will be reviewing more books focusing on early literacy, including another book that I just received from Heinemann, which is much more detailed and comprehensive, Literacy Beginnings, as well as some Stenhouse titles.

1 comment:

  1. Anything by Marie Clay is always worth reading and thinking about. Thanks so much for bringing these resources to my attention.

    ReplyDelete