Monday, October 12, 2009

Word Study Tracking and Set-Up

Kristin recently asked me for more information about the new Word Study tracking form that I mentioned I had created for this year.

This is the form that I started out with intending to keep in each student's individual section of my anecdotal records/data binder. However, I quickly realized that both my binder was getting too big and I had to prioritize what I would keep there. In addition, it was very time consuming to switch to every single student and repetitive to fill out the information about level and sort for every single student. Instead I decided to track by group (see below). I still included the original form here in case it easier for some people to have an individual student form, which might be nice over time as some students shift among groups.

Word Study Tracking Form

I created an Excel spreadsheet with tabs for each of my groups. For example, I have multiple within word pattern groups, so I abbreviated the tabs by stating WWP and the number of the first sort they started on. I could not get the Excel document to show up well with Scribd, so I created a similar table in Word. I do, however recommend using Excel because it is easier to navigate and get a glimpse of the whole class. I have 6th and 7th graders who started with the same sorts, so I put them on the same tab, still separating them by grade level. The Pre and Post SC section stands for Pre and Post Spell Check to see their growth within a set of patterns.

Word Study Tracking

Please let me know if you would like further clarification about how I have been tracking my students' progress in Words Their Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment