Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Word Study Organization

I have mentioned word study frequently on my blog, and it appears to be an area that shows up often as searches that people do that lead them to this site. I thought some readers would be interested in seeing how my set-up looks.

 

I create all of my whole-group word sorts on sentence strips. I put heading words on a different colored sentence strip with a card on the front that abbreviates the level of word study and sort number (that correlates with the pre-made sort books that I bought). I still have not completed this on every sort yet, but I want to write notes on the back of every title card with any details that I need to remember about the sort. Then I clip each sort with a binder clip. I have a shoe box sized storage box for each category of sorts. This is what my Within Word Patterns (WWP) sort box looks like.

 

My cabinet right next to the area where I meet for small group introductions is where I keep all of the boxes, as well as clipboards for students to do their weekly spell checks.

 
Posted by Picasa

This is the counter right above the cupboard shown in the second photo. I have all of my pre-made sort books as well as an organizer where I keep small pieces of paper and pens to jot down quick notes, markers, extra pieces of cut up sentence strips, paper clips, and binder clips. Then I also have a clipboard with the different groups by grade-level. I always set out the current weeks' sorts as well as the student sort copies and the word study form that I assign to my students each week.

Is there anything else you would like to know about how I implement word study?

No comments:

Post a Comment