Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back to School Days 3-4

Today all staff was back, and the anticipation continues to build in expectation for the students. The fast approaching date is also bringing on anxiety about our disproportionate to-do lists versus the amount of time left to get ready. Although I never expect that feeling to go away, no matter how long I teach, each year I do feel a little bit more calm, embracing flexibility just a little bit more.

Last night we had a middle school team meeting that left me energized for a new school year. We are blessed with very supportive parents who are loyal and dedicated to the school. After the meeting it was fun to hear them reminise about the early days of the school starting and how it has been exciting for them to see their students experience all of the changes and improvements as the school has become more established. It was also fun to see my students, many of whom I had not seen all summer, and all the changes - new hair cuts, taller...

Aside from the parent meeting, the last two days I have continued to set up my classroom, frequently met with my partner teacher to further coordinate our first day and common procedures and been to meetings. My practicum student and I spent a lot of time getting my literacy menus ready. I was not 100% sure how to make it work, but so far it seems like the final product is going to turn out okay. We created the base posters, and tomorrow we need to finish up getting the individual strategy cards ready. I also need to find space on my walls for them because they ended up being very big. There is plenty of room, but I am hoping that I will be able to put them both at the front of the room so that the students will be able to see them easily and often. However, my projector and Smart Board have not arrived yet. We are waiting for them to arrive before putting up my white board since I want it to go right next to the Smart Board and then I can put the literacy menus on either side.

On the bright side, other components of my classroom have been rolling in. Today out custodian was able to hang up my bulletin board, and the techs came to bring my new computer and the student laptop cart. Still no desks, but hopefully they will come in tomorrow. Luckily, as I mentioned, with each year come more of an openness to the concept that the beginning of the year means flexibility. Whereas even last year I would have been ready to have a nervous breakdown if I did not have desks in my room for the first day, this year I am just thinking out plan B and realizing that it is by far not the worst thing that could happen. Besides, nothing, not even the lack of desks and technology can dampen my excitement for my new classroom and starting my second year at my dream job.

No comments:

Post a Comment